McGlannan

School

History


“Why can’t an intelligent child learn to read and spell as well as his peers instead of living

with failure and the threat of adult illiteracy? If we are teaching the blind and the deaf, why

can’t we reach these children?” ~Mrs. Frances McGlannan


     In 1958, Frances McGlannan set out on a now historical quest into the world of the child with specific reading/language based learning difficulties, into the world of DYSELXIA.


     Frances McGlannan’s goal was to meet the needs of every child in each subject, in an ungraded program, rather than the lockstep approach of traditional education. Utilizing her own academically creative energy and scientific bent, she employed specific multisensory techniques, previously reserved for the blind and the deaf, to teach the dyslexic child.


     With the production of a total linguistic curriculum, unavailable commercially at the time, McGlannan School was founded in 1964. Proof that multisensory teaching techniques can be effectively adapted to the classroom was established. Compensatory teaching strategies to assist the student with auditory and visual processing deficits were also employed.


     Articles regarding the school and its methods have been published by the Journal of Learning Disabilities, Time, Newsweek, Saturday Review and other publications including Hispanic publications in South America. Harper and Row published a detailed chapter on McGlannan School describing, in addition to the program, special environment factors built into the school building.


     Today, McGlannan School remains in full operation as an academically rigorous educational Facility.